Saturday, January 20, 2007

I only had to come 10,000 miles for it! By Dave

Have you ever heard the little phrase that “whatever you are looking for is in the place you never expected it to be?” Well, I came 10,000 miles for the best haircut I have ever had.

Everyone knows that I do not have that much up there anymore so you are probably thinking, “How difficult could a haircut be?” When I was young, Jerry Marshall did a fine job, nothing too great. When I got a little older Aunt Diana took wonderful care of me. She even gave me the perm in back during the mid 80’s. In addition she was quite affordable. Usually a kiss on the cheek. When I moved away, beauticians just want butts in the seats and herd you through like cattle.

Meet Andrei.

Andrei was referred to me by Marc Brustman. Marc is here with his wife on their second adoption and visited Anrie before their last court date several years ago. Marc referred Andrei very favorably and I was in desperate need. Even though I don’t have much up top, for some reason the sides grow very well. I had wings around my ears and my sideburns were an inch longer than normal. I was hoping I could make it, but I wanted to look presentable for court. So I did it. 45 minutes long!! Wonderful!

First he washed, then he cut with clippers, then he blended in the top. Okay, you ask what is the big deal? Well, then he meticulously checked his work, trimmed around my ears, looked in my ears (if I wanted him too, he would have pruned my nose hairs), massaged my neck (the best part), shaved my neck/sideburns with a real blade (like in the old barbershops), checked his work again, shampooed again, blew dry what hair I have and we were done. All of this for $5. Of course I tipped him, but are you kidding me. The Cutting Zoo in Atlanta is cheap but not that cheap and does a crappy job compared to Andrei.

Even Katie appreciated it. She for some reason likes my ears and inspects them daily.

Well, it is Saturday night and I am watching Apollo 13 for the 6th time (really, not kidding) and we are going to have grilled cheese one more time (I’ve lost count how many for that). We are anxiously awaiting Monday and can’t wait to see you all.

Love Dave