Thursday, December 21, 2006

Off to Karaganda

Dave woke up this morning (at about 3:30am) and announced that he forgot to pack a dress shirt to wear to court! So, of course, I panicked and sent a few emails out about how to ship a shirt from the US, and I eyed to curtains and my emergency sewing kit, trying to decide if I could fashion something (Scarlett O'Hara style). Andrei the driver came to our rescue! We called and asked him to pick us up early to see if wee could buy a shirt (obviously, they sell shirts here, but I was afraid they might not have size XL). He dropped us off at a Ramstore that had several known stores, such as Benetton, Lacoste and Pierre Cardin. It took Dave exactly 10 seconds to find and buy a shirt!

Our only task was to fly to Karaganda, from Almaty. The flight was to leave at 2pm, so we got to the airport at around 12:15pm. Well, there were many unexplained delays, so we ended up taking off at around 7:45pm. Luckily, we met our travel partners, and had lots of time to get of know each other. They are similar to us, so the conversation is easy, and I am truly glad they will be in Karaganda at the same time we are.

After many hours of wait, we were bussed out on the tarmac, and boarded our 50-seat plane with propellers (and I immediately took a Dramamine). We arrived in Karaganda at about 10pm, and we met on of the interpreters and WPA coordinator. They drove us to our respective apartments. Our place is great – more than enough. It is not home, but it will be just fine for the next month while we get to know our baby.